Things to Know Before Applying Australia Partner Visa - E-Help
Book an Appointment
Assessment Form
What's the Scoop on Australian Partner Visas?

March 3, 2021

Things to Know Before Applying Australia Partner Visa

Before we begin, the first question is what exactly is the Australian partner Visa?


The Australian partner Visa allows the spouse or the partner of an Australian citizen, or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen to reside in Australia.

Initially, you are granted a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820). This stay might last from 15 to 24 months but for those of you who have been in a long-term relationship might not have to stay on subclass 820 at all, you can be granted permanent visa (subclass 801) immediately after granting the temporary subclass 820 visa.

Who is eligible for Australian partner Visa?

The individual applying for this Visa must be the spouse or de facto partner (minimum period of 12 months) of an:

  • Australian Citizen
  • Australian permanent resident
  • Eligible New Zealand citizen (someone who holds Australian permanent residence visa or is defined as a protected SCV holder under the Social Security Act 1991)

One can be in a relationship with same or different sex. The applicant’s marriage must be valid under the Australian law (18 years is the valid age for marriage). Parental consent is must if one’s age is 16 or 17 years. Additionally, one might still be eligible for the visa after breaking up or if one’s sponsor dies while one has already applied for the Visa and it is under consideration.

With this Visa you can:

  1. Stay in Australia until you are granted Permanent Partner Visa or until your application is withdrawn.
  2. Work in Australia.
  3. You can study in Australia, but you will not receive any government support.
  4. One can travel to and from Australia as many times as they wish.
  5. Can attend free English language classes (up to 510 hours) provided by the Adult Migrant English Program.
  6. One can also enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare.

Can you include dependent children?

Yes, you can include dependent children at the time of submitting your application or even after submitting your application but make sure it is before you have a decision on a temporary visa.


Starts from AUD 7160.

Documents required:

  • Identity documents. (Birth certificate, passport, national ID card, proof of change of name, if applicable)
  • If you are married, then a valid marriage certificate.
  • If you are a de facto partner, provide proof for the same. (mutual commitment, not family related, etc)
  • How you and your partner manage finances and take care of domestic matters.
  • Evidence that others know about your relationship. (Joint invites, common friends, etc)
  • Proof showing how well are you and your partner are committed to a long-term relationship.

That’s it on Australia partner Visa! If you are looking for a temporary partner visa, education visa or any other type of visa, don’t hesitate to contact e-help consultancy at +61 7 3172 4965

  • A-304-305, 3rd Floor, Chiranjiv Tower, 43 Nehru Place, New Delhi, 110019, India

  • +01 168140334

  • FF 27, SHIVALAY RESIDENCY, opp. Vishal Supermarket, Kudasan, Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382421

  • +91 9560 202061

  • [email protected]

× How can I help you?